History of Berkswell School


For over 500 years children have attended a school in Berkswell.  The first classes were held in the schoolroom situated in the Tudor porch of the Church.

The school moved to its present site in 1839 and this Victorian building is still in use today.

The school was originally designed to accommodate the younger children on one side and the older children on the other, with the headteacher having a house in the centre.  Since that time however, there have been extensive changes and renovations.  The headteacher's house is now a cloakroom, a reading  and IT area.  A hall and kitchen were added in 1957 and administrative offices were added in the high roof space in 1979.  1993 and 1997 saw further extension and all pupils are now housed in classrooms built and refurbished to exceptionally high standards.

A nursery was opened in 1998, completing the expansion of the school.  The 30 place nursery moved into a temporary building in September 2004.

In 2010 a new Early Years Foundation Stage building was constructed. Nursery and Reception classes moved into their new building at the start of Autumn term 2010.

Classrooms were re-arranged in school and the former Year 1 classroom has undergone substantial redesign to become our Creative Arts Studio.

The school is set at the heart of the village and is involved in many community activities.  We continue today a long-standing tradition of excellence and look forward to continuing this, in partnership with parents.